Friday, December 12, 2008

It's All in the Details

This is why I love writing D&D stuff:

"With an Arcana check (DC 23) the PCs learn that the entire plateau is, in fact, the broken shaft of a spear used to pin some monstrous creature to the bottom of the Sea of Howling Souls."

Tip o' the hat to Amityville Mike at The Society of Torch, Pole and Rope for this post. It proved useful this week in working on an adventure.

I think that's one of the things I love best about working on RPGs. There's no layer between designer and the end product, or the methods used by "customers" and producers. Really, we're all producers. Some of us just do it on company time.

3 comments:

dave said...

I often think I should work on that city where the walls around the city are just the half buried link in the chain holding Tharizidun imprisoned.

Michael Curtis said...

Pleased to be of service, Mike. I'm glad someone's getting some use out of my wool-gathering and ruminations.

I like the idea of SOMETHING being pinned by a giant spear. I have visions of the city being shaken not by the occaisonal earthquake, but by the massive creature stirring in pain deep below the sea. Reminds me of the Norse myths about Loki being imprisoned within the earth and writhing in pain when the venom of the serpent strikes his face.

Unknown said...

This approach to setting design is what appeals to me about the Wilderlands boxed set. Little tidbits that spark the imagination are often more interesting than pages of thought-through information. It's the same approach found in my favorite campaign setting of all times: Griffin Island for Runequest 3e.